It doesn’t take a lot of digging to uncover the many changes along the way in the evolution of content marketing since it first began.
Being a dynamic and ever-evolving domain means regular trend switches, new platforms, and content types, sometimes emerging suddenly.
Staying ahead of the curve and gaining a competitive edge can be both energy and time-consuming for marketers. To optimize their content strategies with minimal effort, they should always keep a keen eye on the data.
From content marketing mediums and tactics, to trend statistics, reading further, you’ll find plenty of data to help you improve your content marketing strategy and performance in 2023!
Let’s dive in!
1. Content marketing mediums and tactics
Which content marketing mediums and tactics are delivering the best results in 2023?
With the ever-changing digital landscape, there’s no guarantee that a strategy that was successful last year will work equally wonderfully in 2023.
To ensure you stay ahead of the game in your content marketing efforts, check out what the data says about the most fruitful tactics of this year so far.
- 32% of the most successful marketers spend 50% or more of the total marketing budget on content marketing. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- The top technologies B2B organizations use to assist with content marketing are analytics tools (83%), social media publishing/analytics (80%), email marketing software (75%) and content creation/calendaring/collaboration/ workflow tools (73%). (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- 57% of B2B companies use content marketing to generate sales/revenue, while 64% of B2B companies report using content marketing also as a way to nurture subscribers/audiences/leads (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- The most successful B2B content marketers integrated the following content types in their content strategy over the last 12 months: case studies (73%), e-books or white papers (67%), long blog posts (62%) and research reports (40%). (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- About 52% of B2B marketers also used media/public relations and speaking/presenting at events to distribute content in the last 12 months. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- LinkedIn is the number one organic social media platform most used by B2B marketers (93%), followed by Facebook (80%).
- LinkedIn is also the most effective organic social media network for B2B companies, for 77% of marketers, followed by Facebook with 37%. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
Credit source: B2B Content Marketing Report
- For 77% of B2B content marketers doing paid advertising, social media is the most effective medium – among these, 75% of them pointed to LinkedIn as being the platform that delivers the best results, followed by Facebook. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- In the last 12 months, virtual events, webinars, and online courses produced the best results for B2B companies, according to 58% of marketers. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
2. Blog content marketing statistics and trends
In marketing, trends are very important as they reveal new approaches bloggers should follow to increase their content’s rankings and visibility.
Since trends and best practices regarding article length and structure are a particular area of interest for content marketers, below, you’ll find some data highlighting how the most successful blog articles look for last year.
- Articles over 3,000 words get 138% more traffic than those with fewer than 500 words (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- Title headings including the word “Guide” attract three times more organic traffic than other types. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- Articles with seven or fewer words in their H1 get 36% more average organic traffic than those with 14 or more words. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- 47% of articles with an advanced headings structure (H2 + H3 + H4) belong to the highest-performing organic content group. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- 39% of articles with no H2 are underperforming (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- Articles with one or two lists per 500 words recieve 68% more traffic than those without lists. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
Credit source: The State of Content Marketing, 2022 Global Report
3. Video content marketing statistics
With video content becoming an undeniably powerful marketing tool, this is an essential element that bloggers would be wise to integrate into their content marketing strategies.
To showcase videos’ efficacy in achieving a smorgasbord of marketing goals, I’ll briefly go over some video content marketing stats.
- 59% of marketers use video in their content marketing strategy, while 76% of them call it their most effective content format. Not to mention, one in four marketers who use video (or 27%) say it’s the content type that yields the biggest ROI. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 87% of marketers report video content as being very helpful in increasing traffic. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 86% of marketers say that video content is extremely efficient in lead generation. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 81% of marketers report that video content directly impacts their sales’ increase. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 93% of marketers say that video has helped them boost brand awareness. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 88% of people say that they’ve been convinced to buy a product or service by watching a brand’s video, while 78% declare that they’ve been convinced to download a piece of software or app by watching a video. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- People are twice as likely to share video content with their friends than any other type of content, including social media posts, blog posts/articles, and product pages. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 88% of people want to see more videos from brands in 2022. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 70% of marketers say that video converts better than any other form of content they use. (Vidyard – State of Video Report, 2022)
- Blog posts with videos get 83% more traffic than those without. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- Articles with more than three videos generated 55% more backlinks than those with none. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- Among the best performing video content formats are webinars, interviews, and “How-to” videos. (B2B Content Marketing, 2022 Report)
Credit source: B2B Content Marketing Report
4. Visual content marketing stats
“A picture is worth a thousand words” is a classic cliché for good reason.
In the digital marketing era, visual content is king. The incredible popularity of social media platforms – like Instagram and Pinterest – have shown how impactful visuals are for online consumers.
Since a single image can tell a complex story in mere seconds and transform potential buyers into loyal customers, visually-oriented content has become a must-try marketing tool.
Eye catching visuals are imperative not only in social media marketing but in content marketing as well, as the below-listed stats clearly illustrate.
- Blog posts with more than seven images generate 116% more organic traffic than those with none. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- 45% of marketers who leverage content marketing currently invest in infographics. Out of those, 38% plan to increase their infographic investments within the next year. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
Credit source: The State of Content Marketing, 2022 Global Report
5. Interactive content marketing statistics
With the rise of social media and plethora of other digital trends, worldwide brands and companies have had to adapt how they approach marketing and implement new strategies.
Today’s consumers look beyond the products or services a company offers, wanting to be offered experiences, innovation, and authenticity from the brands they choose to invest in.
In the era of globalization, any brand faces fierce competition when it comes to winning over, retaining, and engaging clients.
Nowadays, the most successful brands are the ones that have turned the challenge of overcoming competitors with equally strong selling points into stimulus to go the extra mile.
As a result of those businesses’ desires to stand out from the crowd and make consumers part of their brand’s story, interactive content was born.
Interactive content can be described as any post or material that requires user participation – from answering a question to solving a riddle or whatever.
Compared to static content, interactive content switches users’ experience from passive consumption to active involvement.
These days, this type of content is becoming more and more appealing to customers that want personalized interactions and therefore is increasingly important to integrate into a marketing strategy.
Therefore, as data has indicated, 17% of video marketers included interactive video in their 2022 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022).
6. Content Marketing ROI Statistics
Since ROI is an essential KPI to measure for any marketing endeavor, let’s see how content marketing efforts in particular are paying off by looking at the data.
- Marketers prioritizing making blogging a serious priority are 13 times more likely to see positive ROI than those who don’t.
- 56% of marketers who leverage blogging say it’s effective, and 10% say it’s the content type that generates the biggest ROI. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- During 2022, 22% of marketers said they had become clearer on the ROI of video content, giving them the confidence to invest in it more seriously. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 87% of marketers say video content has helped them generate good ROI. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- Nearly 50% of marketers reported that in 2022 video content ROI is expected to increase. (Vidyard – State of Video Report, 2022)
7. Content Strategy Statistics
Creating a marketing strategy based on in-depth research – of both trends and your competition, is key for conducting effective content marketing.
To understand how impactful an optimized strategy can be, let’s analyze the stats and results of businesses that don’t put a great effort into creating a strategy compared to those that do.
- 62% of the most successful B2B marketers have a documented content marketing strategy (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- 58% of marketers revealed that their content marketing strategy changed during the pandemic slightly or moderately. (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
- 53% of online SEO marketers have a content strategy optimization for videos and images. According to 49% of them, this is the most effective SEO tactic. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- One in four SEO marketers seem to leverage historical optimization in their strategy, out of which 29% of them claim it’s an effective SEO strategy. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 92% of marketers point out video as being an important asset in their marketing strategy. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 68% of video marketers plan to include LinkedIn in their 2022 video marketing strategy, while 33% also want to include TikTok. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 46% of video marketers plan to include webinars in their 2022 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- 14% of video marketers plan to include VR in their 2022 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- The top three content formats marketers integrate into their content strategies are videos, blog articles and infographics.
- 84% of companies claim to have a content marketing strategy.
- 79% of B2B marketers have content marketing strategies in place.
- 17% of marketers plan to incorporate podcasts into their content marketing strategy in 2022.
8. Content marketing adoption statistics and trends
In 2023, content marketers are expected to orient their efforts towards specific content areas to boost their businesses’ profitability. To discover which tactics you should consider if you want to stay ahead of the curve, check out the following content marketing adoption statistics.
- 64% of marketers who conduct case studies found them effective, and 15% said they brought the biggest ROI of the content formats they tested. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 47% of marketing professionals who leverage SEO say their companies use search insights reports in their strategy. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- While 48% of SEO marketers use backlinking and link building as a regular SEO tactic, 63% of them call it their brand’s most effective SEO strategy. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- Voice searches are a trend that only 12% of markets have paid attention to so far. However, in 2022, 41% of marketing professionals plan to increase their focus on this particular area. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 46% of businesses reported wanting to increase their content creation spending in 2022.
- At the moment, 51% of content consumption derives from organic search.
- 76% of content marketers use organic traffic as a key metric for measuring content success.
- Top content marketing trends in 2022: influencer marketing (for 34% of businesses) followed by mobile web design and short-form video marketing. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 57% of marketers that tried influencer marketing find it effective, while 1% call it the top ROI-generating trend they’ve tried out. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- 80% of marketing professionals plan to invest more budget into audio content and podcasts in 2022. (HubSpot Blog Research, 2022)
- The most promising investment areas in 2022 related to content marketing are expected to be video (69%) and events (61%). (B2B Content Marketing 2022 Report)
9. Statistics on Content Marketing Channels
Choosing the right channels to promote your business is an important decision that should be integrated into any marketing strategy.
The right channels can lead to numerous organizational benefits, while the wrong ones can bury a business. The secret to getting it right is selecting them based on the target audience and the company’s objectives.
Below you’ll discover what the most rewarding content marketing channels are so that you can capitalize on them and optimize your business.
- 94% of content marketers use social media as a distribution channel for their content.
- Influencer outreach was seen as the most effective promotion channel among bloggers.
- The top three owned media content distribution channels for B2B marketers are a personal website, blog and email newsletter.
- 83% of video marketers said YouTube had been an effective channel for them. (Wyzowl – Video Survey, 2022)
- Maintaining a consistent tone across all channels is a challenge for about 16% of marketers. (The State of Content Marketing – 2022 Global Research by Semrush)
- 45% of marketing specialists said their spending on paid channels had increased in the last 12 months. (B2B Content Marketing, 2022 Report)
10. E-commerce content marketing stats
Given that e-commerce is an area where effective content marketing really matters, heavily influencing a business’s success, let’s take a more in-depth look into what data has revealed.
- Personalized product recommendations and experiences on-site significantly impact sales, leading to an increase of 25% for companies leveraging this tactic.
- Retailers that have initiated basic personalization features have had a revenue increase of about 10%.
- 3D product images increase conversions by 250 percent.
- One in five buyers mention lack of language translation as a significant barrier to purchasing on a foreign site. Around 40% of customers refuse to purchase from a store entirely if the content is in another language.
Hopefully, all these content marketing stats have offered you valuable insights that will help you with your content marketing strategy moving forward.
Whether you’ve just started investing in content marketing, or are an old player in this arena, it’s important to base your decisions on reliable data and stats.
An important takeaway emphasized by all of these statistics on content marketing is the rise of video content, which can deliver incredible results if you choose to integrate it into your strategy.
However, equally important is evaluating and adjusting your strategy based on your past results and data.
Given that every blog and business is different, there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to content marketing.
What is most important is to stay on top of the trends, optimize on the go, and make adjustments that help you fulfill your specific goals and objectives.